Sunday, June 15, 2008

TTYL, Dad

At 83, my Dad might be the coolest, hippest Dad in Texas. Maybe the world. He sent me a quick email yesterday about something, and signed it TTYL, Dad.

I did a "huh?" Dad's got quite a texting vocabulary, don't you think? TTYL (Talk To You Later) is pretty hip for an old dude, don't you think? (Sorry, Dad, but I've always considered you an old dude, albeit a cool, hip old dude).

I wonder where he picked up the text shortcut? Maybe from the grandkids. Maybe from surfing the net, which he does a fair amount of the time. See, Dad was the editor of our hometown paper for 25 years, and after that, he dabbled in other writing/editing gigs instead of retiring like normal people.

In fact, he is still writing and editing. He looks over my articles. He writes a column for his community's newsletter. He reads the paper everyday, occasionally firing off a searing tirade to the editor, often which ends up on the Letters to the Editor page. He's amazing.

So, I will talk to my Dad later, on this Father's Day, and I'll probably tell him: jtluk, iluvuvm...


No comments: