Friday, June 6, 2008

A Plum of an Idea

Last night I cooked dinner. Not so much cooked, but assembled. Not exactly assembled -- I did sear Mahi Mahi -- but then I put it on top of a fresh mesclun salad, which is technically more assembling than cooking. But then I made this plum vinaigrette. Is that cooking? No.

It turned out to be the most beautiful shade of rich pink, with flecks of black from the skin. (Totally reminded me of the Minted Black Plum Sorbet from The Great Ranch Cookbook, at least in color.)

The vinaigrette was creamy (using fruit --fresh or dried -- will do that... something about pectins).

It was sweet (also from the fruit, and a splash of mirin that's been sitting in the fridge for too long but I don't think it will go bad in my lifetime from all the salt and sugar -- natural preservatives) and tart (from the champagne vinaigrette and dab of mustard).

The bad news is that I didn't write down the exact proportions, but I'm going to share it with you anyway. The good news is that I trust you to taste and adjust appropriately. You might like more tartness (add more vinegar) or less tartness (add either a little sugar/sweetener or a little more oil).

And if you don't have all of these ingredients... don't worry... the key ingredients are acid (vinegar in this case) and oil (olive, not extra virgin in this case). Oh, and a plum... the riper the better.

Plum Vinaigrette

Makes just over 1/2 cup

1/4 cup champagne (or white) vinegar
1 ripe plum (seeded, but not skinned, and roughly chopped)
1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese plum wine) or honey
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil, or 1/4 teaspoon dried or leave it out
pinch salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Place all ingredients EXCEPT the olive oil in a blender. Puree until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Taste and season to your taste. Keeps refrigerated for up to 5 days.


No comments: