Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oxymoron


I'm fairly certain that if you look up the definition of oxymoron, you'd see a picture of turkey bacon. Seriously, everyone knows that bacon comes from a pig -- his fat little belly to be specific. Now, I'm not knocking the product called turkey bacon. It is quite tasty -- both smoky and salty, with a slight meaty taste. But it is not, I'm so sorry to say, bacon.

My kid brother has lost 25 pounds since January eating turkey bacon practically every morning, along with a scrambled egg and occasionally a few other ingredients my sister-in-law manages to sneak into her low carb tortillas. Recently, while I was visiting them, she made one of her breakfast treats for me. It was really delicious.

They're following a South Beachy style diet. What they've really done is changed their eating habits more than following a specific diet. And they've added serious, regular exercise to their weekly routine. Steve says, "It's funny, before, I never ate breakfast, and now I eat it every morning and I've lost weight."

I think his weight loss is due more to simple math -- eat less + exercise more = weight loss --than it is to the addition of breakfast to his routine. But it really doesn't matter how he arrived at his new, slimmer self. He looks fabulous. So does my sister-in-law, but she always looks fabulous and this new, healthier way of eating isn't new to her. She just somehow convinced my brother to hop on the slimming train.

No comments: