Monday, June 9, 2008

Olive You....


How can you not like olives? I ask my husband this question all the time. He eschews anything with olives in it. What a shame, I think. I adore olives...every kind of olive -- from the Spanish green olive stuffed with a pimento to the wrinkly black olive that's first dry cured with lots of salt and then coated with olive oil. The latter is especially disgusting to my guy. All the better... more for me.

So, knowing how much I love olives, imagine how delighted I am to learn that the Lindsay Olive Company has sent me (and probably hundreds of other food writers and media types) a little brochure packed with new recipes using, of course, Lindsay olives. The one that stopped me in my tracks was the fried stuffed olives recipe (see picture above).

Being from Texas, I pretty much like anything fried. To be honest, I never thought about frying olives, although I don't know why not. I've seen lots of things fried lately that I never would have thought of before. Like a basil or sage leaf. Or an Oreo. Although the latter, I've learned, is a staple at county fairs across the country. I need to get out more.

Back to the fried olives from Lindsay Olives -- you can find the recipe at lindsayolives.com. If you are more interested in the cute little bamboo skewers, I've seen them both at Sur La Table and Cost Plus World Market.

No comments: