Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sugar Shock

Remember my post from a few days ago about my new cupcake cookbook (number 413)? Well, let me tell you about cookbook number 412, Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey (yes, that's the name) by Jill O'Connor.

I met Jill in New Orleans last April at the International Association of Culinary Professionals annual conference. I only met her because my new best friend, Dave, a cooking school owner from Florida and a first time attendee, was hell bent on meeting every single person attending the conference, and he introduced me to Jill. He introduced me to lots of people, even though this was my 7th conference and his first.

We got to talking and it turns out that I had one of Jill's previous cookbooks in my library (probably number 287 or something like that... I've had it a while...a book on phyllo). Anyway, Jill starts telling me hilarious stories about writing this book. She could be a comedienne if she ever decides to give up cookbook writing. I can't even imagine testing recipes this sweet for months straight. It's a miracle she didn't go into diabetic shock.

I might not cook anything out of Jill's SCMG book...but the pictures are mouthwatering and her writing voice is just as personable as she is. "Have you ever noticed that there are no 'vanillaholics' "? she writes as an introduction to her Heart of Darkness Brownies. Good point.

Some other recipes that look "to live for" include all-grown up s'mores, sticky toffee pudding, blackberry jamble shortbread bars and sugared stuffed dates that couldn't be simpler to make but kinda messy -- split medjool dates, remove the pit and stuff in as many toasted walnut halves as you can before rolling the date in granulated sugar.

You know, after writing this post, I have a sudden urge to go into the kitchen... so I'll see you later...

No comments: