Friday, August 22, 2008

Aunt Sally's Pork

"What one thing did you always ask me to make for you when you were growing up?" Aunt Sally prodded my husband. We were gathered in her country French kitchen at her adorable lake house just southeast of Atlanta. Jeff rattled off a litany of dishes, to which Aunt Sally drawled, "nope, something else."

Clearly Aunt Sally's cooking was a favorite pastime of my husband's youth, and she even influenced me when I joined the clan in 1989. I credit Aunt Sally and her mother, Jeff's granny, with inspiring me to quit my job and head to culinary school.

"Creamy fudge!" Aunt Sally blurted, and she brought out a pound of foil and wax paper wrapped chocolaty goodness. In an instant, my 47 year-old husband melted into a little boy as the fudge melted in his mouth. Aunt Sally thinks of herself as a simple country cook, yet her repertoire goes far beyond the basics of down home southern cooking.

For years, I've shared Aunt Sally's pork marinade with friends and family, and I've even featured it in my cooking classes. I found out on this trip, that the recipe actually came from Mary Jo, Sally's sister-in-law.

To me, it is and always will be Aunt Sally's recipe. Now I'm sharing it with you. Use it to marinate pork loin or pork tenderloin for at least 8 hours up to overnight. Put it on the grill and cook to medium. I promise you will love it as much as we do, and almost as much as we love Aunt Sally.

Aunt Sally's Pork Marinade

1/2 cup pine nuts, finely ground
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
Dash of cayenne (to taste)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredients together. Marinate pork at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Grill to medium. Discard used marinade.

No comments: