Friday, May 8, 2009

Jicama - The Mexican Potato




We've seen this brown, bulbous root vegetable in our markets in the Southwest forever, yet without fail, someone in the grocery store will stop me and ask me what it is, followed by "what do you do with it?"

I use it as a paper weight. (Kidding).

Jicama, a staple in Mexican and South American cuisine can be eaten raw or lightly cooked. The flesh glistens pearly white.



It's full of fiber and water, so it has a lovely crunch. My favorite way to serve jicama is as a component in a salad. It can be the star or a supporting cast member.

The first thing you have to do is peel the thin brown skin. I normally peel it before I cut it in half but I wanted you to see the inside first.



Once peeled, you can cut it any way you like. Cut it into matchsticks or cube it.

I made a jicama, orange and jalapeno side dish to go with barbecue, so I cubed it, added some orange sections and minced jalapeno.



Squeeze the orange after you remove all the sections over the jicama and then give it a good toss.

You could add a little olive oil for richness, but it's fine to leave it fat free.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and you've got a refreshing, crunchy salad.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

I just googled "brown root vegetable" trying to figure out what I got in my co-op produce basket.. thanks to your blog, I discovered it was jicama! I have eaten it before but never purchased it. Thanks for the salad idea, I will use it for our Mother's Day BBQ! :)

Chef Gwen said...

Hi Noelle... I don't keep this blogger site updated anymore. You can now read all my posts at http://penandfork.com

I love jicama and happy to hear it's showing up in CSAs.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you'll join me over at penandfork.com